Your Winter Camping Tips!
Camping in the winter is much different than when camping in other seasons. Not only are you dealing with extreme cold temperatures, but you may also be dealing with freezing rain and even snow in some areas of Canada and the United States.
Many people think that once this cold weather hits, that camping is out of the question. They believe that camping is a summertime activity only, but that is simply not the truth.
There are plenty of people who enjoy winter camping whether in a tent or an RV. However, if you do decide to go camping this winter, remember that this may require different equipment and you may have to do a little more prep work to make this enjoyable!
Your Winter Camping Packing List
What do you need to pack with you while camping this winter? It is going to be pretty different than what you would pack during the summer months! Here are a few ideas:
- Be sure to pack warm layers! You are going to have to remember that in the colder temps you may become wet and you will want dry and warm clothes to sleep in at night.
- Aim for packing wool like clothing to help keep you warm even longer.
- Waterproof boots are a must!
- Be sure to invest in some hand and toe warmers, as these can keep you warm for several hours!
- Pack a foam pad to be added under your sleeping bag as this adds another layer to ensure that you stay warm while sleeping.
- Be sure to pack a small shovel as you don’t want to wake up and find that you are snowed in at your campsite.
- Have extra candles and batteries as during the winter time it gets darker sooner than the summertime, so you will be using these flashlights and candles more this time of year.
- Remember that you may need extra fuel for your stove. During the wintertime, these stoves use more fuel as they are often being used for boiling water.
Above all else, pack heavy when it comes to the food that you bring. Due to it being colder, our bodies will use more energy to stay warm.
Thus, you may find that you are hungrier than usual. Try to aim for meals that are one-pot meals or even those foods that simply need hot water added to them for a nice warm meal.
The Winter Camping Tents and Sleeping Bags You Need
If you are going to be camping outdoors in the winter, you need a winter camping tent!
You will want to ensure that the tent that you purchase is one that is rated as a ‘cold weather tent’. These types of tents are a bit thicker and heavier as they are meant to withstand the temperatures and the wind that often comes along with the winter weather.
A few other considerations that you are going to want to make include the following:
- Dome type tents are great as the snow simply falls off of them.
- Find a tent that has a roofline that allows the snow to simply fall off.
- Extra poles are always nice as these winter camping tents have heavier poles meant to handle more weight. They can break, so be sure that you have a few extra!
Your sleeping bag is a necessity when you are camping during the winter as it’s going to be the key to staying comfortable at night. With this being said, make sure that you do the following:
- Choose a sleeping bag that has a high rating for winter temperatures.
- Try to find a mummy style bag with a hood, as they are often the best for winter temperatures.
- Make sure that the bag fits you, if it is too big you can also stuff it with extra clothing to keep it snug.
Special RV Camping Tips
If you are camping via an RV this winter, then you are going to find that you still need to make some extra preparations for your trip. A few tips:
- Make sure that you have a heated water hose for your RV as this can ensure that you do not have to deal with frozen pipes!
- Be sure to test the furnace before you leave for your camping trip to ensure it works.
- Consider having a block heater as it is going to make it easier to start your engine after sitting still for a long, cold night.
- Don’t forget that you will want to clear the ice and snow from the slide outs before putting these up, as this can cause mechanical failure.
- A few emergency items that you will want to have on hand when camping this winter in your RV:
- Tire chains
- Weather band radio
- Extra blankets
- Extra propane tanks
- Extra food
- Emergency GPS system
- A gas-powered generator
- Be sure that you do your preparation homework before leaving for your trip which includes checking the weather so that you are fully prepared for whatever comes your way.
Additional Winter Camping Tips for Comfort
When you are camping in the winter, there are also several things that you are going to have to do in order to make this comfortable for you and those whom you may be camping with. Here are a few other tips that can make this easier and more fun!
- Be sure that you are wearing an outer shell that is fireproof. With the campfire burning so long, sometimes all night long, you are more likely to catch an ember on your clothing.
- Be sure that you pack down the campsite. If you have skis, snowshoes or whatnot then you are going to want to tramp around the area to pack the snow down very hard. This will help to cut down on the amount of snow that you tramp into your RV or tent.
- According to The Clymb…” embrace the pee bottle”. Stepping outside while in a tent can be miserable when you need to go the bathroom.
- Need water? Boil the snow! This is faster than putting in chemicals to make it good to drink.
- Bring an extra towel to wipe away condensation away from your tent.
- Be sure that you have some Vaseline on hand. Vaseline can be great for protecting your face and lips from the cold temperatures and wind.
Bring on the Winter Camping!
While it may require a bit more work on your end, winter camping can be great when you are prepared!
Winter camping can be super fun and it is a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Are you ready to go winter camping?
Be sure that you check out BookYourSite.com to find your next camping adventure. You can find campsites throughout North America along with RV sites.
You will find discounts that may be offered, along with descriptions of the campsite. You can also download the app for information and book from your phone. Have a great camping trip!